In honor of its 40th Anniversary, this episode is all about publicity on The Empire Strikes Back, with special guest Craig Miller (Lucasfilm Publicity 1970s-1980s). We talk about how the publicity campaign was a pioneer for its time, ushering in a new way of marketing movies that continues to this day. Some of these include a 1-800 number to speak with your favorite Star Wars character, articles in Bantha Tracks, and The Muppet Show appearance. Craig was largely responsible for all content of Bantha Tracks, the first Star Wars fan club magazine, and talks about the lead-up to TESB through its pages.
We dedicate this episode to the memory of Charlie Lippincott, who just passed away on May 19th. Mr. Lippincott worked as the Senior VP of Adverstising, Publicity, Promotion and Merchandising at Lucasfilm, and was a mastermind of promotion.
Sarah is donating AND selling face masks! For all the details, click here.
Skywalking YouTube: The Jungle Cruise!
Unfortunately Disney’s Jungle Cruise film was pushed back to a 2021 release date, hopefully this will tide you over.
Check out these SKYwalking NETwork shows:
- Classic Marvel Star Wars Comics
- Sabers & Spells – a Geek Pop Culture Podcast
- The Culture POPCast – Interview-based Pop Culture Podcast
Small World Vacations
Small World Vacations is an official sponsor of Skywalking Through Neverland. Contact them for a no obligation price quote at www.smallworldvacations.com. Tell them Skywalking Through Neverland sent you.
SUPPORT THE SHOW
- Instagram: http://instagram.com/skywalkingpod
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/SkywalkingPod
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/skywalkingthroughneverland
- Send emails to email@example.com and follow us on Facebook.
Never Land on Alderaan!
Check out some of our previous episodes and articles:
- 442: WISH Movie Breakdown & Review + Walt’s Office Tour & Disney Animation Studios Press Day
- 441: THE MARVELS Breakdown with that Skrull – Paul Warren
- 440: ‘Star Wars Holiday Special’ Boba Fett Animator – John Celestri
- 438: Halloween Special!!
- 437: Celebrating 100 Years of Disney / Remembering Costume Designer Shawna Trpcic